Vehicle Dynamics and Control Engineer
At Animal Dynamics, building on a deep understanding of movement in animals, we are trying to create more efficient and powerful systems, capable of performance beyond anything currently found in conventional engineering.
What motivates us is our drive to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems and realise designs that will disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Currently in development we have a micro-UAV and paramotor delivery system, plus other autonomous programs in our business roadmap. We have demand for these products in a variety of international markets.
Based near Oxford, we are growing rapidly and are looking for talented people with a desire to work in a very stimulating environment.
We are looking for a Vehicle Dynamics and Control Engineer to join the team and provide support across all projects. You will work closely with all engineering teams to model the vehicle dynamics of non-conventional UAV platforms.
As a Vehicle Dynamics and Control Engineer you will be responsible for the modelling and analysis of vehicle system dynamics to support the design and development of a number of vehicles and autopilot systems. You will assist the testing of control algorithms mostly in simulation. You will collaborate across project teams and disciplines and be responsible for tracking and reporting of work in progress.
Essential skills and experience
You will have the following skills and experience:-
- Dynamic modelling of mechanical systems.
- Dynamic modelling and control of airborne systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of theoretical and numerical aerodynamics.
- Non-linear and linear system dynamics analysis.
- Application of rotation sequences.
- Parameter estimation.
- State Observers.
- Strong mathematical ability including pure mathematics, linear algebra, statistical and numerical methods.
- Proficient in MATLAB and Simulink.
Desirable skills and experience
- Design of flight control systems.
- Chassis vibration/modal analysis.
- Turbulent aerodynamics.
- Knowledge and use of general purpose coding languages (for example Python, C++…).
- Interest in RC aircraft/drones and piloting skills.
- Experience in the development of autopilot systems.
You will also be:-
- An innovative thinker and genuine problem solver with entrepreneurial mindset.
- A self-starter, with minimal oversight needed to complete assignments.
- Highly self-motivated, proactive and communicative.
- Educated to degree level or higher from a respected university.
- Salary: very competitive, dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.
Note to all applicants
Due to the security classification on the work we do, we will undertake a routine Baseline Personnel Security Standard check on the successful applicant. This is a standard process which includes references and career history checks.
For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our Recruitment Privacy Statement available at www.animal-dynamics.com/rps
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.