Guidance and Control Engineer
At Animal Dynamics, building on a deep understanding of movement in animals, we are trying to create more efficient and powerful systems, capable of performance beyond anything currently found in conventional engineering.
What motivates us is our drive to create original and worthwhile solutions to real problems and realise designs that will disrupt industries and technical approaches that have long been taken for granted.
Based near Oxford, we are growing rapidly and are looking for talented people with a desire to work in a very stimulating environment.
Currently in development we have a micro-UAV and paramotor delivery system and due to vehicle size and endurance requirements the system designs, both electronic and mechanical, must be carefully optimised for efficiency and low-weight.
As part of our continued expansion we are looking for a Guidance and Control Engineer to provide support across all projects.
As Guidance and Control Engineer you will be responsible for designing, implementing and testing the real-time control, path planning and path following algorithms for a set of non-conventional UAV platforms. You will work closely with the navigation and electronic engineers to exploit full state, partial state and fused information to provide an optimal guidance and control solution for each platform. You will oversee testing of these algorithms in simulation and on the real platforms in the field.
Development of these algorithms will be done in C/C++ and implemented in simulation and in real-time on embedded (bare metal, RTOS or Linux) platforms.
Essential skills and experience:-
You will have at least 8 years industry experience together with extensive knowledge and experience in the following: -
- Control System Design: classical, modern, appreciation for some nonlinear techniques and implementation in the discrete time domain.
- Path Planning and following: -
- Dubin’s Paths.
- PN Guidance, etc.
- Non-linear trajectory tracking.
- Trajectory optimisation.
- Strong mathematical ability including pure mathematics, linear algebra, statistics and numerical methods
- C/C++: Embedded, RTOS, Windows and Linux
You will ideally also have:-
- Experience of MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with State Observers: Linear (Kalman Filter) and Nonlinear (EKF, Particle Filters etc)
You will be:-
- An innovative thinker and genuine problem solver with entrepreneurial mindset
- A self-starter, with minimal oversight needed to complete assignments
- Highly self-motivated, proactive and communicative with a passion for electronics engineering
- Educated to degree level or higher from a respected university
- Salary: £35 - £65k dependent on experience
- EMI share options scheme
- 25 days annual leave plus 3 days additional leave for Christmas closure
- Pension scheme
This is a full-time position but part-time would be considered for the right candidate.
Closing date: 19 November 2018
Note to all applicants
As part of our pre-employment screen process we shall undertake a Baseline Personnel Security Standard check. For full details of how we will use your personal data please see our recruitment privacy statement available at www.animal-dynamics.com/rps
All applications must be eligible to work in the UK.